The Best Place to Retire
Northern Neck VA
The best place to retire in Virginia is the Northern Neck.
One of the cheapest places to retire, it has affordable waterfront homes, low taxes, great fishing and boating and numerous fine restaurants.
In addition, there are so many wonderful recreational activities!
And not many places to retire have so many opportunities for wildlife watching or bird watching—including huge numbers of bald eagles, great blue herons and ospreys!
If you have never had the thrill of hearing an eagle's high shrill call or watched wild turkeys in your front yard, almost tame, if you're really quiet--you are in for a real treat here on the Neck!
Plan your retirement carefully
so that you will have lots of fun things to do!
What Do Great Places to Retire
Have in Common?
The best retirement locations have a number of things in common:
- Weather in Virginia
- The weather is pleasant for you. On the Northern Neck, we have a short winter (with little snow) and long springs and falls. Long after northeastern states have seen the last leaves on their trees, we are still enjoying the beauty of autumn.
- Retirement Advice - Find out why so many people are choosing to retire on the Northern Neck Virginia...
- Cost of Living - The cheapest places to retire may not always be the best places to retire. But, if you can find affordable waterfront homes in beautiful settings, low taxes and great places to eat, you have found a true gem!
- Low Crime Rate - With many serene locations, we also have a very low crime rate and a high level of safety.
- Recreational Activities - Retirement is no fun—if you’re not having fun! So make sure that your retirement home is located where you will be able to have lots of fun.
Fishing in Virginia and Boating Recreation
are popular recreational activities on the Northern Neck.
Why Retirees Love the Neck
When meeting new people on the Neck, I’ve often heard "Moving here was like moving to Heaven", or "Moving to the Neck was the best thing that we ever did."
Hearing comments like that made me ponder about what people like so much.
Here are some of the things that people coming to live on the Neck, like the best:
- Living the Country Life
- For many, who spent their working years, living under stress, the Northern Neck is a bit of Heaven. It is peaceful, friendly, and serene.
- Top Ten Reasons to Retire on the Neck - Part 1 - You'll learn what my first 5 reasons for living here are...
- Top Ten Reasons to Retire on the Neck - Part 2 - Here are the last five reasons. They're every bit as important as the first five...
- Retire on the Northern Neck - Guest author Erik Braunitzer, gives his reasons for recommending the Northern Neck as a great place to retire...
- Family Fun Activities - There are many recreational activities on the Neck—for every age group.
- Virginia Events on the Neck - If you like festivals, country fairs and small town get-togethers, you will find them here.
- Boating Recreation - Sail boating, power boating or fishing.
- Fishing in Virginia - Fishing is one of the most popular pastimes, and there are many kinds of fish available.
- Chesapeake Bay Seafood - You can do your own fishing, crabbing or oystering. Or, you can go to one of the many seafood shops, where you can buy fresh seafood from local watermen.
- Golf Courses in Virginia
- The Northern Neck has quite a few nice golf courses for the avid golfer.
- Virginia Farmers Markets
- Buy local produce at small farmers’ stands or at County Farmers’ Markets. Get to know the people who grow your food.
- Shopping in Virginia - Forget the malls. Discover ways to find great unique gifts for holiday giving.
- Virginia Waterfront Real Estate - Unlike Maryland, Virginia has great affordable waterfront homes. You really can afford to live on the water, with your own dock, in a nice luxury vacation home or retirement home!
The Northern Neck just might be the best place to retire, for you.
Retirement, of course, is an individual thing. What works well for one couple, is not right for another.
Keep your goals in mind, consider your needs and decide where the best place to retire is—for you!
Best Place to Retire to Northern Neck Virginia